Monday, January 16, 2012

2. Sister

SisterSister by Rosamund Lupton

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Let me start by saying that what drew me to this book was the whole idea of "a sister's bond". I have a younger sister and even though we aren't twins - there is still a very strong connection/bond we share. For instance, I will call her to tell her something funny that happened and she will mention, "I so needed to hear that story. I needed that laugh. It must be our sister thing." She has always been the free spirit and I strongly admire her for that.

Now, on to the review - the book is written as a long, soul-searching letter Beatrice (the elder sister) writes to her dead sister (Tess), in which she retraces the her struggle to learn how and why Tess died. It was a little slow - but mostly because I was really wanting to put all the pieces together. I love how it was written, a sweet letter to her sister. I can only imagine the grief Beatrice felt.

I also love that there were so many ways this story could have gone! However in saying that, most people found the ending to be a shocking twist. Without wanting to reveal too much, I saw it coming.

Also there were little weird things that just didn't add up - for instance Beatrice moves into her sisters flat and can barely afford much (including the sisters flat) but can afford two plane tickets to Poland?! She has a job - but it's apparently part time as she focuses on figuring out what happened to sister. She only mentions working "at the Coyote" a couple of times.

After reading the book I looked at a few reviews online - some stated it was "over the top emotionally". I don't agree. I think the emotional aspect was written perfectly and perhaps the readers that mentioned it was "over the top emotionally" are only children that have not experience that sisterly bond.

It's the authors first novel and think she did a splendid job and I can't wait to read the her next novel. At the end of this book, there is a Q&A qith the author and it mentions she is working on another "thriller" showcasing the bond between mother and children and a fire at a school.

Can't wait!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment